“For this is what the Lord says: I will make peace flow to her like a river…”
(Isaiah 66:12 HCSB)
1) We can’t look at a roaring river without knowing deep inside that there is Someone who has created it. Someone is the power behind its force. God has the river under His control, and He has our lives under control, even when it sometimes feels like He doesn’t.
2) A river sometimes rages. Its twirling power can suck at us and pull us under in seconds. So how can that be “peace like a river?” No matter how many painful twists and turns we have in this life, God still gives us security and calmness through the troubles in life. Sometimes we can think we’re drowning, but He’s there above the water reaching out His hand to save us.
3) As a river makes the land fruitful as it passes and gives drink to man and animal, so God will supply us with good and make us fruitful. “The man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence indeed is the Lord, is blessed. He will be like a tree planted by water: it sends its roots out toward a stream, it doesn’t fear when heat comes, and its foliage remains green. It will not worry in a year of drought or cease producing fruit.” (Jeremiah 17:7-8 HCSB)
4) The river eventually ends up in the ocean. We will not perish when we believe in Jesus, the Water of Life. He continually carries us into His boundless ocean of unconditional, sacrificial love. His love is deeper and wider and longer than any ocean. That’s how we can survive and endure anything.
5) No matter how much force the river has against the rocks, they remain strong. They may be underwater at times, but they never get carried along like rotten branches and debris and left cast off onto some shore. If we are planted on the Solid Rock, Christ Jesus, we will remain standing. We will never be cast off.
WHEN PEACE LIKE A RIVER…